If you’re looking for an amazing outdoor adventure, you need to check out Yellowstone National Park! This park is full of beautiful scenery and interesting wildlife. It’s definitely a must-see for any nature lover. If you’re thinking of making the trip to Yellowstone from Boise (Idaho’s capital), we have all the information you need plug some helpful tips to make your visit go smoothly!
Distance from Boise, ID to Yellowstone National Park
The fastest route from Boise to Yellowstone National Park is 388 miles, or 5 hours and 39 minutes. If you want to shave off some miles but don’t mind a slower pace, an alternate route is 363 miles or 5 hours and 49 minutes. These distances are to the West Entrance to the park. From the West Entrance, you will be able to drive into the park and explore the many attractions.
What is the drive from Boise to Yellowstone like?
If you take the fastest route, as mentioned above, you will head East from Boise on I-84, going through or near towns such as Mountain Home, Twin Falls, Pocatello, and Idaho Falls.
For part of the trip, you drive along the Snake River, and near National Forests, such as the Caribou-Targhee National Forest.
So if you’re not in a hurry, there are plenty of places to stop along the way, enjoy the scenery and wander through some charming towns.
Entrances to Yellowstone
There are a total of five entrances to Yellowstone National Park. Depending on the time of year you plan to visit, you will need to pay special attention to the entrances. Not all entrances are open all the time, so you will need to check the park’s website for the latest information.
Below, we have listed all of the five entrances with time and distance from Boise to each of them:
- West Entrance: 388 miles (5 hours 39 minutes) from Boise
- North Entrance: 550 miles (8 hours 31 minutes) from Boise
- Northeast Entrance: 454 miles (7 hours 27 minutes) from Boise
- East Entrance: 455 miles (7 hours 23 minutes) from Boise
- South Entrance: 427 miles (6 hours 55 minutes) from Boise
Tips for visiting Yellowstone
- Dress appropriately! With Yellowstone’s distinct four seasons, there’s always something new to discover no matter what time of year you go to visit. But make sure you dress for the season! In winter, snow often covers the park; and in the summer, temperatures can get quite hot. Make sure you plan ahead. The park’s website has lots of great information about the four seasons in Yellowstone here.
- Explore! While there is certainly no shortage of things to do in Yellowstone, make sure you also carve out some time to explore the neighboring towns, such as Jackson, WY; Cody, WY; and Livingston, MT.
- Hit the road! There are plenty of scenic drives both through and around Yellowstone National Park. Enjoy some leisurely drives in this beautiful area of the country.
- Respect the wildlife! Always, always, always be respectful of the wildlife. With such vast scenery, there are some incredible animals that call Yellowstone home, such as bison, wolves and many, many more. Make sure you and your family keep a safe distance and follow all rules around wildlife.
Can I fly into Boise to visit Yellowstone? + Airports near Yellowstone
If you are coming from further away and want to fly into an airport near Yellowstone, Boise is certainly an option. However, if you don’t want to make the long roadtrip from Idaho’s capital to the popular national park, you might also consider these other (closer) airports:
- Bozeman, MT: 2-hour drive
- Idaho Falls, ID: 2.5-hour drive
- Jackson Hole, WY: 1-hour drive
- Yellowstone Airport: 10-minute drive but this is a small, regional airport that likely won’t have connections from most places
You can find more information about the closest airports to Yellowstone National Park on the park’s website.
With over 2 million acres of beautiful scenery to explore, Yellowstone National Park should be on everyone’s bucket list of places to visit! And if you’re coming from Boise, you will have a beautiful drive on your way to enjoy! Happy exploring!