If you’re curious about Dover, Idaho – and who isn’t? – you’ll find the answers to 10 of the most commonly asked questions here. Dover is a charming small town with a population of under 1,000. It’s located on the scenic Pend Oreille River and is known for its amazing water views, walking trails, and outdoor activities.
1. Where is Dover, Idaho?
This Northern Idaho town is a primarily residential town that neighbors the County Seat of Sandpoint Idaho. It sits right off of the Pend Orielle River and is only a couple of miles from Lake Pend Orielle itself.
You can easily get to other large towns, as Coeur D’Alene is only a little under 50 miles, and the closest international airport (being Spokane International Airport, GEG) is only a little over 80 miles away.
2. What is the weather like in Dover?
Being so close to Sandpoint, Dover heavily shares its weather with the larger town! This means you will get the full four seasons, with snow in the winters and amazing sun-filled days in the summer. Of course, every week is different, so you can expect everything in between as well.
This is one of the greatest things about our area here, as you can fully enjoy everything about every season.
3. What is the elevation of Dover Idaho?
At 2070 feet above sea level, Dover is definitely up in the mountains. To give you an idea of how that compares to other towns in the area below is how it compares.
- Dover, Idaho – 2,070 feet
- Sandpoint, Idaho – 2,096 feet
- Sagle, Idaho – 2,149 feet
- Hope, Idaho – 2,192 feet
- Coeur d’Alene, Idaho – 2,188 feet
- Spokane, Washington – 1,843 feet
- Boise, Idaho – 2,730 feet
4. What is in Dover Idaho?
Dover, Idaho is a primarily residential town with a variety of different neighborhoods that each have a different feel from the other. You will find neighborhoods with different levels of HOA’s and CC&Rs, and some neighborhoods that have none at all.
Outside of housing, there are of course some businesses! Here are some of the main ones.
- Dish at Dover Bay – This is an awesome restaurant overlooking the water that offers a variety of food. It is a great place to enjoy a steak, seafood, or even just a great burger. It also features a bar and seasonal favorites! You can find the menu here.
- The Dover Bay Marina – This is a full-service marina that can offer you anything from gas to a slip for your boat. They also have a store on site that has all the supplies you need for a day out on the water.
- Big Wake – This coffee shop not only offers your favorite cup of joe, but they also offer some quick bites to eat when you are on your way to work.
- 10 Things You Should Know About Lake Pend Oreille
- 4 Jet Ski Rental Companies in Sandpoint Idaho: Affordable Fun
- Top 5 Dog Friendly Pathways in Sandpoint, Idaho
5. Where can you rent a boat in Dover, Idaho?
Boating is one of my favorite things to do in the Dover area! However, what happens if you don’t have your own boat? You rent! Right now, the only boat rental place in Dover is Sandpoint Watersports, which is a well-known watersports rental company in the area. You can give them a call at their Dover location at (208) 920-9292.
6. Can you rent cabins in Dover?
If you have ever driven through Dover Bay, you likely have stumbled upon the small cabins (aka Bungalows). These are short-term rentals that you can stay in. If you are looking for a weekend away, or want to experience Dover before you move there, these are great cabins to make that happen. You can easily book your stay at this website here, however, they do book up fast.
7. Is there a Marina to access Lake Pend Orielle in Dover?
The Dover Bay Marina is the only marina in Dover, Idaho. It is located on the southern end of town and provides access to Lake Pend Orielle. The marina offers a variety of services, including gas, boat slips, and a store with supplies. You can find more information on their website here.
With so many different activities to do, it is hard to get bored in Dover, Idaho. From hiking and biking trails to boating and fishing on Lake Pend Orielle, there is something for everyone. If you are thinking about making a move to Dover, or just want to learn more about the area, I would encourage you to reach out to me. I am always happy to help!